My wonderful grief therapist recommended I start a blog which is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but I was scared to actually take the step and start one.
Last night, my 18 year old son, Michael was chewing on a water bottle cap and accidentally swallowed it. Today he informed me while he was at school that this transpired and he was having some stomach discomfort. This is the same child who was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer when he was 14.
We decided to go to the ER just to check him out and it’s a very familiar drive that we have taken over & over for the past 3 and a half years. I was reminiscing about us driving on this route to the ER in the middle of the night because of horrible side effects from the chemo such as fevers, mouth soars & migraines. Now we are on our way because he swallowed a bottle cap!!
It’s crazy how life changes in an instant but never stops moving…no matter what we are dealing with! I was thinking how that seemed like another lifetime ago and how much has changed in our lives these past few years. At that time I thought life couldn’t get any worse but I had no idea what was to come.
Eight months ago my 20 year old son, Andrew died instantly in a car accident. I’m still alive and surviving day by day! I have tried my best to allow myself to feel the pain while grieving the tremendous loss of my child, but also continue to live a life worth something!
So as we pulled into the parking lot of the ER I thought….I need to do this! I need to overcome my fear and take the steps and make my blog and write my first post while we sit in this room and wait. Well, I’m sitting and Michael is fast asleep. It is now 3:30 am and I’m making the most of this time by writing this. Maybe that’s why this happened tonight…..to give me the courage to begin this blog. Anyway, here it goes, I finally did it!!
They are sending us home and hopefully the cap will pass on it’s own but if it doesn’t in the next few days he will be getting an endoscopy to check it out, but I’m hopeful that won’t happen.